OUR HISTORY

Campbell and Penty Ltd originally started life as Campbell , Penty and Vincent Limited in 1921. The partnership came about after Jock Penty started working on Campbell’s farm in Acaster Malbis York as farm foreman. With financial backing from Campbell, Penty and Vincent began trading. Four years later the company changed to how it is known today – Campbell and Penty Ltd.

In 1953 Campbell and Penty Ltd acquired the site and buildings at Great Ouseburn in order to be able to process seed and store grain. Originally built in 1857 as a workhouse for the Great Ouseburn Poor Law Union, the institution operated as a such for 73 years. It was closed down when the former Great Ouseburn Union become part of a new Public Assistance district centred on Knaresborough.


Great Ouseburn Union Workhouse site 1893

Great Ouseburn Union Workhouse site 1893

During the Second World War the buildings were used as an anti- aircraft station and also housed Italian Prisoners of War who were looked after by a Scottish regiment.


Great Ouseburn Warehouse c. 1910

Great Ouseburn Warehouse c. 1910

For the past 62 years, it has been used to house our seed processing plant and grain stores.